If you have friends or family members who will be staying at your home for the holidays, you might be having mixed emotions about it. On one hand, it will probably be a lot of fun to visit and to do things together. On the other hand, you may be realizing that your house needs a thorough cleaning before your guests arrive. Even though you clean your house every week, the time might have come for you to deep clean in a way that you haven't done for a long time. If that's the case, here are some ideas that might help you as you clean.
Pay Attention to Detail—If you're going to deep clean more than ever before, the secret will be in paying attention to details which you have not tackled in the past. For example, consider shining the metal hardware on your front door and on all of your cabinets.You may want to try natural cleansers that are already in your kitchen. A paste made of lemon and baking soda will do a beautiful job of shining real brass, for example.
If you have things like stained glass windows, beveled glass, or decorative glass figurines, a combination of water and vinegar will do a beautiful job of cleaning them. If you have oil paintings that have become dull, there's a good way to clean them without using any damaging chemicals. Simply take a slice of regular white bread and rub it softly over the surface of your painting. As the bread crumbles turn dirty gray, you'll see that your painting looks fresh again.
Leave the Carpets for Last—The reason it's a good idea to leave the carpets to be cleaned at the end of your cleaning job is that your other cleaning may get the carpet dirty all over again. For example, dusting the tops of shelves might bring down debris that will need attention as you clean the carpet. Here are some tips on getting your carpet super clean.
- Spot clean trouble areas first. Try using club soda before using harsh chemicals.
- If you do have to use cleansers, try them first in an area of the carpet that won't show, just to make sure there won't be fading.
- Have you found old chewing gum embedded in the carpet fibers? If so, try freezing the gum and, after it is very hard, lift it up with the edge of a spoon.
- If you have pets that have soiled your carpet, you will probably need to pull the carpet up so that you can clean down to the pad.
- Dishwashing detergent is another great product that will work well on dirt and grime.
- If you would prefer professional carpet cleaning, make an appointment with a service like All Around Town Carpet Care.
After your deep clean, you'll be all ready to enjoy the holidays with guests.